Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Story of Stuff - A Must See

This is a copy of Paul's original review of the Story of Stuff. It was posted 2008-01-19.





George Carlin has a funny perspective on stuff but he doesn't talk about where it all comes from and where it all goes.

As I've been looking at my ecological footprint I started to get the idea that stuff (material goods) has a non-trivial impact on my environment. I was thinking about looking into it, but I wasn't sure where to start.

Then I saw the 20 minute video "The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard" last December and was blown away. It is simply spectacular. The video is a fast paced look at our materials economy from start to finish.

Now I realize that the words materials economy sound gouge-your-eyes-out-with-a-melon-baller boring, but this video is just the opposite. No melon baller needed. Not even a soup spoon. "Brilliant, awesome, and funny" are responses people have to the video and if you don't believe me check out what the critics said.

I was so impressed with the content, the way they simplified a complex topic into a clear message, and how they made it entertaining at the same time, that I'm giving this video my highest rating of five exploding balls of hydrogen.


Video Links
The Story of Stuff video is available in large format at http://www.storyofstuff.com and in a slightly more blurry version here on YouTube.

If you happen on by my house, I ripped it to my iPod, so we can watch it on our wide-screen TV. After you see the video you'll really appreciate the irony of that one. So check it out, it's a must see.

No comments: