Thursday, March 6, 2008

Annotated Script with Sources

The Story of Stuff website provides references and sources for their statements in the form of an annotated script for the video. The script can be found on their references page.

1) On the "100,000 chemicals and synergistic impacts" statement: I tracked the source of that statement (using the source noted in the annotated script to this page.) This appears to be a web site focused on pointing out what we don't know about the chemicals in circulation in the US. It's not as well sourced as I'd like especially on the specific statement about the number of synergistic impact studies that have been conducted. The lack of a secondary source doesn't necessarily make it wrong, but I'm definitely interested in seeing the studies you mentioned that suggest we do understand the synergistic impacts.

2) The sources on BFRs are on page 5 of the script. The sites they point to point to other studies. I read a bunch of them and my take away is that BRFs are leaching into the environment (wildlife) and people's bodies. The amounts are small (in people) but have increased about an order of magnitude in the last 30 years. Plenty of alternatives exist.

The thing I struggle with is the idea that flame retardants are going to save my life. If I'm still asleep in my bed while my bedroom is on fire I'm going to be much more concerned with smoke inhalation than getting burned by my bed.

3) A few of the BFR sources describe the breast milk studies. Unless the sources are just wrong the statement she's making is correct. They make a point to state that Breast milk is still the best choice and they even site sources to that point. (See page 5.)


4) Factory Workers: The point made in the video is that this is a global system. One of the challenges for US factory workers is they cost more and have more restrictions as a result of the safety standards required in the US. I think the safety standards are a great idea, but they are not a global standard occurrence. So while I agree that this does not appear to be a major issue in the States, countries like China count and if they are anything like the US during our industrial revolution then factory workers are getting the short end of the stick.


I'm out of time for this post so I'll follow up on your other points in a few days.

No comments: